Spot any errors? let me know, but Unleash your pedant politely please.

Thursday 14 March 2013

Super Skinny Normal

Super Sized versus Super Skinny was on as background noise a few weeks ago. I could go on the show myself, in the Super Sized class, except that I'm fully aware that eating too much shit and doing no exercise is why I'm the size I am. I doubt that I gain anything but being shamed in my pants.

I couldn't find the episode on 4OD, but my initial reaction to the Super Skinny was that she looked rather attractive. Young, pretty, slim. I found myself wondering what she was doing on the show. She looked pretty good.

I realised that the problem is simply that unhealthily super skinny / size 0 women are the promoted media ideal. Worse still, I think if I had to identify visually the point at which a woman was worryingly thin, I think I'd get it wrong.

I was reminded of skinny woman today when reading a tweet by Caitlin Moran with this photo of a more reasonably proportioned Swedish mannequin attached:


More of this kind of thing…

It's seems likely that in medical terms, this model for American peddlars of lingerie for the larger lass Hips & Curves is obese. She's also damned sexy. Apologies if this crosses the line between aesthete and objectification. I kind of struggle with that.




Fabienne: I don't give a damn what men find attractive. It's unfortunate what we find pleasing to the touch and pleasing to the eye is seldom the same. 

Fabienne is probably right, but maybe we can consciously create a synaesthesia,  imagining how what we see might feel, and for the visuals to become more attractive at a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment