Spot any errors? let me know, but Unleash your pedant politely please.

Thursday 28 May 2009

Wolfram|Alpha. I guess this explains the 'Alpha' part

Today I wanted to convert something, and thought maybe it was the sort of thing Wolfram|Alpha would be good at, and a better starting point than Google. Converting from European shoe sized to UK shoe sizes, to see if some shoes I like the look of (but will probably not buy if I'm honest), are made in my size.

If you type a query about shoe sizes in, it probably won't know what to do with it, but it will have a link to shoe sizes and some example queries.

One of the examples happens to be "U.K. men's size 11 shoe in Japanese size". I clicked this and then changed it to "European men's size 47 shoe in U.K. size". It borked (Wolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input). Changing it to "U.K. men's size 11 shoe in European size" also made it bork.

I guess this explains the 'alpha' part of the name.

BTW, I really want to like Wolfram|Alpha, but their natural language parser just doesn't work well enough yet to allow people to get at the data.

No comments:

Post a Comment