Spot any errors? let me know, but Unleash your pedant politely please.

Friday 22 May 2009

Pythonic

I'm not a very Pythonic Python programmer yet, but it's getting better. The web has oodles of useful hints and tips. I'm adding stuff here that I find useful as much for me as anyone else.

I don't think yesterday was the first time I came across the term 'Pythonic', but it's the first tie it really registered. It's a nice landmark on my journey.

'Pythonic' just means doing things in Python the way a real Python programmer does them, rather than doing it Python in the way that it's normally achieved in another language. I've mentioned before that I'm a couple of degrees of separation from being a real Python programmer. I'm from an Ada background, and came to Python via Java.

Ada is a superb language. It's like a polar opposite of Python, and that's fine. I wouldn't use Python for safety critical, and I wouldn't use Ada to write automated functional tests. Right tools for the job and all that.

Edit: worth a read : What is Pythonic ?

No comments:

Post a Comment